Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Taj Mahal.



I was going to attempt to compose some words to describe the exhilaration of seeing the Taj Mahal, but I realized I’m not that good a writer; I would be unable to do it justice. A writer who attempted to do it justice, Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore, described it as “a teardrop on the face of eternity.” It was built by Emperor Shah Jahan as a memorial for his second wife, Mumtaz Mahal, who died giving birth to their 14th child in 1631.

Later, we also visited the Agra Fort, where I snapped a picture of Indian women in their colorful saris.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are correct that the Taj Mahal is beyond words. I am a professional writer and knew, the instant I stepped through the portal, that no writer who ever lived has succeeded with words.

Read what Mark Twain said about the impossibility . . .

http://sprangleblog.com/?cat=9

1:41 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

I too am blessed to say I have seen the Taj Mahal, it was back in 1994 during the plague outbreak and we had the Taj virtually all to ourselves, when someone asks me what is the Taj Mahal like? I can only say it's the place where I completly lost my breath.

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home